Sunday, August 18, 2013

Stuffed pumpkin flower fritters/ fleur de citrouille farcie et frite

Since I cannot find jack-o-lanterns in France, I've been planting my own for the past 3 years. Note that my garden is only a few square meters big. A few years ago, the biggest pumping weighed 7 kilos and grew 3 meters up attached to the garden wall.


This year's harvest is looking small...with only a few babies so far....but what to do with the blossoms?  So I turned to frying....
 


I gently cleaned the blossoms and then chopped some fresh mint from my deck.

I mixed some ricotta, chopped mint, salt And pepper and a bit of nutmeg.

I made a batter as suggested in the above link, gently closed the stuffed blossoms with a gentle twist. I then dipped them in the batter and put them in the frying pan where the olive oil was ready to fry up these babies.

To be honest, I didn't expect much. I always thought edible flowers were sort of bs betas they were frying, they let off a lovely flowery smell (I was surprised! ). Ad when I bit in to them, they left a sweet flowery aftertaste I my mouth. My daughter liked the batter and the flower, but not the cheese; my son liked the cheese but not the rest.


No comments: